On May 15, 1901, a select group of Wilmingtonians received a letter (see following document) announcing the formation of the Wilmington Country Club, a charter and the securing of a long-term lease for a suitable tract of land having been obtained.
The Wilmington Country Club clubhouse was completed on July 1st, 1902 with the first open golf tournament held the same year.
The Spanish Influenza
Wilmington Country Club serves as a hospital for victims of the Spanish influenza epidemic. Tents are erected on the golf course for extra beds for patients.
The Great Fire
A carelessly tossed cigarette ignited confetti following a masked ball, causing a fire to completely destroy the Clubhouse - a $150,000 loss. The clubhouse was quickly rebuilt in 1925. The only items that survived the fire were the chandeliers which hang in the ballroom today.
The Winterthur Property
Board of Directors purchases 335 acres of land, The Winterthur Property, from H.F. duPont. That same year the South Course opens for play.
The New Clubhouse
November 8th, marked the official opening of the new clubhouse on Kirk road.
1965, 1971 and 1978
The USGA Junior Championship was held in 1965, the USGA National Championship in 1971 and the USGA Boys and Girls Junior Championships in 1978.
Tour Players Make their mark
In July 1966, two exhibitions were played with Carol Mann and Gary Player on the South Course. Two months later Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus played an exhibition match.
2001 Marked the 100th year anniversary of Wilmington Country Club. Traditions and history abound as the Club moves into the modern age.
In 2014, the 7 million dollar expansion and renovation to the clubhouse was completed.